Monday, September 26, 2016

Course Outline Assignment- Engagement

Week's Summary

This week along with continued work on our course outline assignment rough drafts, we learned about how important it is to get the students engaged in the materials we are teaching. Keeping the students engrossed is directly related to how they will learn the information we are presenting. The primary indicators of engagement in an online course (which most of us are creating for the course outline assignment) learning environment are the amount of interaction between students and the attribute of that interaction. This goes on into relevance, which we also learned about in this module. What is relevance? Making an assignment relevant is when you make the material significant to the students. It is essential to inform the students why they are doing a certain activity. It's never good when the students just feel like your course consists of busy work they are doing for no reason. The effect of significance is that students will be more interested in the material. The more likely they are to pay attention the more likely they are to retain the information being taught for the future. There are three forms of relevance: past, current, and future. Past relevance might strike the interest in one or two students, but probably not the whole group. This is when students want to know why a certain occurrence occurred. Current relevance is material that will immediately affect the students. Learning specific information that will be used in the near future but probably forgotten. Future relevance is material that will affect students in the future. This is the utmost rate of relevance because students are more likely to remember information they will need again at some point in the future. Relevance and engaging information go hand in hand. If the information is relevant the students will inevitably be more engaged in learning.

Item of Interest

This week my item of interest is actually how to make my information I am teaching about athletic training relevant and engaging to the students. I am trying to come up with ways to make the assessments I am using be engaging to the students. I think them having to record themselves taping and then watch 2 of their fellows tape and give feedback to them will help. The course I am teaching is important, but I want to make this class really interesting for my students where they want to pursue it as a career after I’ve taught them the basics. There’s so much that goes into being an athletic trainer. People who enjoy being around sporting events and love traveling would be really interested in this career, I think.

Problem or Concern

I don't really have a problem or concern this week, other trying to make my course engaging and interesting for the students. I want them to enjoy learning how to be an athletic trainer. I don't want it to seem too difficult or overwhelming to do the assignments or assessments for the course. If anyone has any suggestions for this, then feel free to give me any advice! All advice is appreciated! J



3 comments:

  1. Meaghan,

    Great post this week! I like your idea of teaching athletic training. The idea of videoing themselves, and then watch it back to see any mistakes they may have made so they can learn from it. One thing that you could do to get them engaged is do a "field trip" or have them do observation hours with the athletic trainer at your school/local university so they can see how it goes on with a football or basketball team. Great job, and good luck!

    -Savanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meaghen,

    I think we all are thinking about actually how to take the information and put in BB and make sure it is relevant. Self-assessments may be on target, but what about peer assessment? I am looking forward to learning how to be an athletic trainer, and what all it takes. I love the topic.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the idea of the recording and then doing peer reviews would be very helpful for your students. If they could not really record themselves maybe you could put them in groups and record each other and do reviews with the other groups. I think we are always afraid that our content will not be engaging to our students but I think the best way is to do a survey to see if they are enjoying and if they feel like they are learning anything from it. You can always assess them on the most common content too to make sure they are learning and engaging in the content you are teaching.

    ReplyDelete